Victoria police urging parents to keep cannabis products away from children after 5 kids sent to hospital from illicit gummies

| Staff

Police in Victoria, BC say five children were recently brought to hospital after accidentally ingesting unattended THC gummies.

The children were observed and released from the hospital. 

Patrol officers were called to Victoria General Hospital on Friday, July 16th, after five children under the age of 10 were brought to hospital after accidentally ingesting THC gummies. According to a police report, officers were told that the children were attending a barbecue when parents noticed the children had begun acting oddly. The parents questioned the children, who told them they had found candy while playing in a room and consumed it. The parents investigated and upon discovering the “candy” were THC gummies, immediately called 911.

The products that the children consumed were not from the legal market, but were a popular brand in the illicit market called Stoner Patch. An image of the packaging shared by Victoria Police shows they were advertised as containing 500mg of THC.

No charges have been filed and police say no foul play was involved.